Sunday, August 28, 2016

Playing with Math and Fires Continue in the Mountains

For years I have worked on solving math problems in my head- addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. I've never shared this until recently when I got on this site called Math and Mind.  I find it relaxing and fun. One time my husband and I were playing a game of cards and I was keeping score. At the end of the game, I add it up with my way of doing it which is fast. Paul asked "How do you know that is the answer?"  I said "I added it up and if I'm off, it would be by one point."  He started checking me and realized it was correct.  Later, our friends Ron and Janet came over and we played a card game. I was the score keeper and did the same thing. I guess Ron was about to say something about it and Paul said "She gets it right."  Ron said "Really?"  And Paul said "Yup."  That just tickled me. I don't talk about it. I just do it. It can really throw people.  The one area I have some trouble is going into the negatives. I want to find if there are short cuts doing that. I'm sure there must be, but I didn't work on those in the past.  The reason I brought it up is that I signed up for a site that sends several math problems a day and I have really enjoyed it.   I bought a couple of books on this to play to do further games (that is how I see it).

I have two people I know Carol and Lori who's homes are threatened by the Cedar Fire. Ugh!  I know that several homes have been lost. But when you know the people involved, it makes it personal.  Precautionary evacuations started Wednesday afternoon in Kernville which is close to Carol's home.  I never thought they could be affected by the same fire.  It is quite big!  

Janet and I got together at her home to watch a couple of movies, have pizza and wine. I stayed overnight so I wouldn't worry about driving. I brought over two Disney movies I loved thinking Janet would also like them.  They were Wall-E and Alice in  Wonderland (with Johnny Depp).  Both excellent!   Great time with Janet!  That was fun!

So no art class this last week or this week. I bought a couple of young children's coloring books so I can work out doing flat coloring and also variable to give a sense of form. The reason for this type of coloring book is because the spaces are large to allow me to do this.  I bought them  at a dollar store.  I only worked on one, and it isn't very good yet.  It is a shoe skate.  The paper has a lot of tooth.  I wonder if I should have done it on smoother paper.  I really can't wait until Carol can help us in understanding what we are doing.  I know I'll appreciate it.  I know from having used graphite, that I will get the hang of it and the quality will improve.

Shoe Skate


I got my handicap license plate.  My niece Shannon changed my plates out.  I don't need a handicapped parking all the time, but when I am really hurting, I'll appreciate it.  Though, I have to say, most of these spots are taken.  I didn't notice this when I did not need them. Now that I have it and can use one, most of the time I can't get one. 

I'm heading off to the store to get a few items to make dinner.  I am using my organic fruits and vegetables.  They include a few recipes to use these.  I have most of what I need.  

Well, that is it for the week.  It has been slow, but that is okay to me.  I do feel okay.  I just need slow periods.  I hope your week went well and this next week is good for you too!                  Rachel








No comments:

Post a Comment